Our club originated at Kleine-Brogel Airbase.
Follow the story how it all started....
In 1944, the allies decide to construct a tactical airfield at Kleine-Brogel, codenamed B90. Situated in the northeast of Belgium, the site is ideal to prepare and support the Rhine operations.
September 1st, 1951 the 27th squadron is established at Florennes Airbase. December 20th, of the same year the squadron moves to Chièvres. Together with the 23rd squadron established at Chièvres and the 31st squadron established at Beauvechain, they form the core of the new 10th Fighter Wing. Starting up with about 10 Spitfire XIV, a single Harvard and a couple of Oxford for liaison purposes. Later this number is augmented to 26 Spitfires.
Less than one year later the Spitfires are replaced by the first Republic F-84E Thunderjets. Within a year these were already replaced by Republic F-84G Thunderjets. February 23rd, 1953, three formations Thunderjets, Seaman Red (23), Seaman Yellow (31) and Seaman Blue (27) leave Chièvres and set course to Kleine-Brogel.
But the first Wings residency in Limburg is cut short. The brand new taxi tracks at Kleine-Brogel are already showing cracks and start to crumble. This is a dangerous situation for the jet engines of the brand new aircraft. Due to this hazard, the 10th Wing moves to RAF Geilenkirchen, Germany. The 27th and the 23rd Sqn acquire their own dispersal on this crowded RAF Airbase. A nomadic period starts and will last until the construction works at Kleine-Brogel are finished. The Wing deploys in succession to Geilenkirchen, Brüggen, Weelde, Bierset and Sylt.
Meanwhile the Wing has received a different tasking and is renamed 10th Wing Bombers and performs this task with F-84G Thunderjets.
May 1956, the F-84G Thunderjet is replaced by the Republic F-84F Thunderstreak. A new era starts. The era of speeds higher than the speed of sound. In 1960 the Quick Reaction Alert is introduced. Immediate action during daylight as well as at night is now possible. October of the same year gives the prelude to the end of the 27th Squadron. The Squadron is transformed to an operational training unit(OTU). The squadron now converts new pilots to the bomber tasking. Due to a reorganization, the 27th Squadron is dissolved in 1962.
Being a fighter pilot is a dangerous profession. Also in the 10th Wing. Accidents do happen.
The squadron black panther insignia disappears for 14 years but reappears in 1976, adopted by the 57th Squadron Nike Hercules, 9th Wing Missiles at Erle, Germany. This squadron being dissolved in 1983, the black panther disappears again.
The squadron number and the (modernized) insignia are dusted off in 1994 to be operational again. But this time as a virtual squadron manned by virtual pilots. This results in a group of flight adepts willing to rise the 27th Squadron to new heights, constantly looking for new student pilots and old hacks to strengthen their ranks.
Contact us for remarks or corrections concerning the history of the 27th Squadron